Mother’s Day is Around the Corner!
Okay, so let’s break this down. Some people think Mother’s Day is a cheesy waste of time for different reasons: “I spoil my mom every day,” “It’s just another excuse to spend money” and yada yada yada. But, let’s be honest. Many of us bump heads with our moms a lot, because the reality is, we see the world differently. So regardless of how we feel about the holiday itself, our mothers just deserve to be celebrated. Plain and simple.
As you become a mother, you start to understand some of the feelings and experiences your mother had when you were younger. I can’t describe it, but I appreciate my mom more now that I stand in her shoes. Motherhood is an identity, and being an African mom is another reality itself. Our mothers struggle and sacrifice so much, simply for us to have a future. There were so many things growing up that my mother wouldn’t let me do, and I just thought she was unfair. Now I see that there were things that I was only able to do thanks to my mother. I see my mom’s perspective so much more clearly than I could have ever imagined now that I have my own daughter.
My mother is my family’s generational wealth. She has built the foundation I now stand on and hold my daughter. On this Mother’s Day and all the ones to come, I am going to celebrate my mother.
Don’t forget to celebrate these people too:
The women who are raising kids on their own. The women who have carried babies in their body but never got to hold them. The women who have been struggling to have kids. The women who are in the process of adopting a child or have adopted children. The grandmothers who are raising grandbabies as their own. The men who have the responsibility of being a father and a mother. The women who I don’t include in this post.
- 14″ Peonies in Vase – Faux – The French Bee
- Furla Cherry Leather Pin Small E/W Tote Bag
- Yves Saint Laurent Red Lip & Liner Gift Set
- kate spade new york Bridesmaid Engraved Idiom Bangle
- Jo Malone London Cologne Intense Velvet Rose & Oud Home Candle/7 oz
- DKNY – The Match Up Polka-dot Washed-satin Pajama Set – Baby pink
- Apple Watch Series 3 (Gps + Cellular), 38mm Gold Aluminum Case with Pink Sand Sport Band
- GG Marmont card case
- Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
- Gucci Bloom Acqua Di Fiori 50ml eau de toilette
- S’Well 25-oz. White Marble Water Bottle
- Sunday Riley U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil