The Power of Jeans
The right pair of jeans can have the power to wipe away years of insecurities, shopping headaches, and self-doubt. I remember a few years ago after having my first daughter, I was in New York shopping. While in the store with a friend, I kept trying different bottoms only to feel defeated because I couldn’t find anything that fit me or my new body. After several hours of struggling, I went home and said I can’t do this.
Whenever I lose weight, I try so hard to lose it everywhere including in my bottom half. But of course, it never works that way. I personally always gain weight in the top and bottom half of my body but I only lose weight in the top half. It might seem amazing when you hear it but it’s a different type of struggle, especially when it comes to finding clothes to feel confident and comfortable in. I’ve come to the accept that this is how I am built and I have to dress for this body, my comfort level and my confidence.
The right pair of jeans can be a saving grace. You can look amazing and more importantly, you can feel amazing. I know most of us have the misconception that jeans are always uncomfortable, but that doesn’t have to be the case. If you have a smaller waist, certain jeans can leave a gap in your midsection that even a belt can’t fix. But don’t be discouraged; there are jeans for every shape. You just have to learn how to find the right ones for you.
How to Find the Right Jeans
Before you head out to shop for jeans, you should know what look you want to achieve. If you want a slimming look, go for a darker pair. If you don’t mind a flashy look, explore lighter jeans. You also want to pay attention to materials; certain jeans stretch and others do not. Then there are some important questions you have to ask in order to decide the style you’re looking for.
Questions to Consider when Shopping for Jeans:
- Do you want something high waisted or low rise? High-waisted jeans can do a lot for a curvy figure, especially if you’re insecure about your midsection. However, the right low-rise fit can give a slimmer upper-body the appearance of a longer torso and can go well with certain tops.
2. Do you want something tight and curvy? Or a loose fit like boyfriend jeans? It’s okay to mix it up!
3. Are you comfortable wearing ripped jeans or not? You can also decide this based on the degree of the ripped jeans; some only have one small cut in the knee.
4. Do you want straight, skinny, bootcut, or wideleg? There are a range of cuts when it comes to jeans and each does something different for your shape and outfit. My go-to was always a skinny jean. Now as I’m getting older, I’ve come to appreciate having at least one of each that fits me well.
5. What is your size depending on the store and the style of jean? Sizing varies a lot. You should know what your average size is and then depending on the factors I mentioned, it might change by one or two points. Another things to remember is that some jeans use the 0-12 and plus scale while others use the European scale which are numbers like 29, 30, 31. A 30 in Euro sizing is usually a 10 in U.S. sizing.
Where to Shop Jeans
My favorite place to shop for jeans is Banana Republic. Over the years, some of my best quality and most comfortable jeans have come from there. Even more, I love Banana Republic because of the way they fit my curves and the wide color ranges available that accentuate my curves perfectly. Other places I shop for jeans include H&M, Zara, Loft, Levi’s, Lucky Brand, and 7forallmankind. This is a good list because it ranges in pricing and quality.
Quick Styling Guide
When styling jeans, go for tops that match the occasion as well as the style. You can dress up a jean or wear it on the day-to-day. If I’m going out with my girlfriends, I might wear a favorite pair of jeans with a pair of block or pointed heels, a cute purse and a statement top. On the other hand, don’t catch me at the grocery store! I’ll probably be wearing my comfiest pair of jeans with a comfy sweater and a pair of flat shoes. I love the versatility!
Like I said, it’s important to know the power of jeans. Their different styles, shapes, and materials can improve any outfit. They can be great for highlighting our shape and helping us manage our insecurities. Next time you go shopping, take a chance and try on different styles until you find the right ones for you! Love your body and dress like you love it.